Monday, 03 July 2017
Notice of Establishment Schedule for Container Shipping Business Integration
In previous press releases (see below), Kawasaki Kisen Kaisha, Ltd., Mitsui O.S.K. Lines, Ltd., and Nippon Yusen Kabushiki Kaisha announced the expected establishment of a holding company and an operating company by July 1, 2017, for the integration of the three companies' container shipping businesses, including terminal operation businesses outside Japan.
As of today, the new company to be established has received all necessary approvals for compliance with local competition laws in regions and countries where compliance is required for the new company's establishment, and progress is being made towards completing the establishment of the new integrated container shipping business. Further details will be announced upon completion of all establishment procedures.
In the Republic of South Africa, the new company expects to complete the approval process for compliance with competition law before the service commencement date of April 1, 2018.
Overall, there is no impact on the three companies' integration plans for the new container shipping business, and the service commencement date for the new company is likewise unchanged from April 1, 2018.
Related press releases
"Notice of Trade Name and Location of New Container Shipping Joint Venture," May 31, 2017,
"Notice of Agreement to the Integration of Container Shipping Businesses," October, 31, 2016,
Inquiries can be directed to the following representatives:
Kawasaki Kisen Kaisha, Ltd.
Kiyoshi Tokonami, General Manager, Investor & Public Relations Group
(TEL: +81-3- 3595-5189)
Mitsui O.S.K. Lines, Ltd.
Keiichiro Nakanishi, General Manager, Public Relations Office
(TEL: +81-3- 3587-7015)
Nippon Yusen Kabushiki Kaisha
Ushio Koiso, General Manager, Corporate Communication and CSR Group
This document includes information that constitutes "forward-looking statements" relating to the success and failure or the results of the integration of Kawasaki Kisen Kaisha, Ltd., Mitsui O.S.K. Lines, Ltd., and Nippon Yusen Kabushiki Kaisha. To the extent that statements in this document do not relate to historical or current facts, they constitute forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements are based on the current assumptions and beliefs of the three companies in light of the information currently available to them, and involve known or unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors. Such factors may cause the actual results to be materially different from the contents of this document with respect to any future performance, achievements or financial position of one or all of the three companies (or the new company after the integration) expressed or implied by these forward-looking statements. Further, the three companies undertake no obligation to publicly update any forward-looking statements after the date of this document.
The risks, uncertainties and other factors referred to above include, but are not limited to:
(1) Procedural and practical difficulties accompanying implementation of the integration;
(2) Changes in supply and demand for the market, and changes in market position including changes in the competition environment and relationship with major customers;
(3) Changes in economic conditions in and outside Japan and changes in exchange rates;
(4) Possibility of misappropriation or deletion of personal data or confidential information due to IT failure, cyber -attack, or other reason;
(5) Occurrence of natural or man-made disaster which may have an adverse effect on the employees, offices, key facilities and IT systems of the new joint-venture company after the integration;
(6) Changes in laws and regulations relating to business activities;
(7) Delays in the review process by the relevant competition law authorities or the clearance of the relevant competition law authorities or other necessary approvals in relation to the integration being unable to be obtained; and
(8) Difficulty accompanying materialization of synergies or integration effects in the new joint-venture company after the integration.